Thursday, December 30, 2010

Peppermint Meringue Kisses


More Christmas cookies! I had planned to get all my Christmas cookies blogged before Christmas, but I was so busy that there was no way that would have been able to happen. Ideas for next year, I guess?

I got this recipe from Sugarcrafter, and they came out sooooooo well. Do not be afraid of meringue! I had to bake them in a 200 degree oven rather than 175 since my oven doesn't go that low, and it actually only took an hour for them to be done. These cookies taste like peppermint, but aren't overwhelmingly minty.

Peppermint candies for smashing and topping the cookies.

Smashed peppermint candies.

Egg whites

Powdered sugar

Peppermint extract

Still totally in lurve with my KitchenAid. This whipped meringue in about 8 minutes, whereas with my hand mixer it took me an hour.

Quintessential "stiff peaks" photo

Delicious.





Peppermint Meringue Kisses (from Sugarcrafter)


  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped peppermint candies
Preheat the oven to 175 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Sift the powdered sugar twice to remove any lumps, and divide in half. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until the egg whites hold soft peaks. Continue beating while gradually adding in half of the powdered sugar. Beat until firm, glossy peaks form. Add in the extract. Fold the remaining powdered sugar into the meringue. Using a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, pipe swirled kisses 1 1/2″ wide and 2″ high on to the parchment paper, about an inch apart. Sprinkle with the chopped candies. Bake about 3 hours or until dry and crisp. Turn off the oven and let the meringues cool in the oven for an hour longer. Serve immediately, or cover and store at room temperature for up to one week. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the cookies and that the adjusted baking time/temperature worked for you. They look lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...