Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ambrosia Cupcakes


These were made for my Gramp's 80th birthday celebration. He's a big coconut fan, so they definitely won him over. I got the recipe out of a Taste Of Home magazine. The only things I did differently were using root beer concentrate in place of rum extract (they were all out of rum extract at HEB and I happened to have the root beer concentrate on hand), and I sprinkled chopped pecans on the tops of some. The frosting was dangerously delicious. I could have probably eaten it by itself straight from the bowl.





And here's my Gramp enjoying the 80 balloons we blew up for him with a note about why we love him attached to each one. 

Ambrosia Cupcakes
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 1/2 c. butter-flavored shortening
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 5 eggs, separated
  • 1 tsp. rum extract (I substituted root beer concentrate)
  • 1/2 c. sour cream
  • 1/2 c. apricot nectar
  • 1/4 c. pineapple preserves
  • 1/4 c. apricot preserves
  • 2 c. cake flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 c. chopped pecans
In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. In another bowl, whisk the sour cream, apricot nectar, and preserves. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixtures alternately with sour cream mixture. Beat just until blended. Stir in pecans. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Fill paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. (Yields 3 dozen)

Ambrosia Frosting
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
  • 1/2 tsp. almond extract
  • 1/4 c. pineapple preserves
  • 1/4 c. apricot preserves
  • 3 3/4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 c. flaked coconut
  • 36 maraschino cherries with stems
In a small bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese, and extracts until light and fluffy. Beat in preserves. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until blended. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with coconut (it was easier for me to kind of dip the tops of the cupcakes into a bowl of coconut since the coconut wouldn't stick otherwise). Garnish with cherries. 


4 comments:

  1. where were you able to find apricot nectar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Central Texas, where a large part of the community is Hispanic. There is a part of the juice aisle in my grocery store dedicated to Hispanic/Mexican juices, and one of the brands sells canned apricot nectar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for sharing the recipe here. I have been given the responsibility of organizing my little brother’s birthday party for which I have also shortlisted a few Venues in NYC and I even have to bake for him. I am glad that I came across this post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...