I candied some lemon zests as a topping while I was waiting for the cupcakes to bake.
They are lemon cupcakes with chocolate frosting, topped with candied lemon zests and a square of Lindt 70% Intense Dark chocolate. They were soooooooo good.
The cupcakes were made from a mix, and the frosting was the Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Frosting.
Hershey's "Perfect Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting (from the Hershey's website)
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 2/3 c. Hershey's cocoa (any cocoa will do of course)
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 1/3 c. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. Yields about 2 cups frosting.
I candied the lemon zests according to this recipe:
Candied Lemon Zest Recipe
- 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- sugar to coat zest strips
* Place julienne strips in a small sauce pan and cover with cold water. Cook over medium heat until the water comes to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 6 minutes.
* Remove from heat, drain strips and then return them to the sauce pan. Add water and sugar to the lemon strips in the sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Continue to cook over low heat until the lemon strips turn translucent. The water and sugar should be starting to thicken. Cooking time will be approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
* When done cooking, remove strips from the pan and spread out on a sheet of wax paper. Separate the strips on the wax paper so they are not in clumps.
* Once they have cooled slightly, roll in sugar until they are well coated.